No matter how healthy a person is, eventually he/she will succumb to the rhinovirus which causes the common cold. While one cold per year is about the most a healthy adult should get, children tend to get colds more frequently as their immune systems are not as developed yet. Fortunately there are many products that boost the immune system enough to fight off infections and more importantly to help one to resist future infections. This article will cover the top products to optimize the immune system.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Malus Domestica (Rosaceae) - Raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar contains an enzyme chain long regarded as a cure-all, called mother. Taken by Hippocrates himself, apple cider vinegar helps relieve arthritis and acid reflux disease. Apple cider vinegar also reduces cholesterol, calcium deposits, allergies, acne and muscle fatigue. Raw cider vinegar improves stamina, increases metabolism, soothes a sore throat and strengthens the immune system. Cider vinegar is also a powerful cleaning agent and offers a safe method to kill fleas on pets. Apple cIder vinegar has antibacterial properties.
- Blue Green Algae - Anabaena Sphaerica (Cyanophata) - Blue green algae (along with green algae such as chlorella) contain chlorophyll, a deep green pigment and antioxidant. These algae are considered a perfect food as they contain most every required vitamin and mineral to provide optimal nutrition. Most harmful bacteria such as fecal coliform cannot coexist in the same environment as chlorophyll which is what keeps fresh water clean. Algae increases oxygen while reducing both nitrogen and carbon. Chlorella binds to heavy metals which detoxifies them and removes them from the body. Blue green algae has antibacterial properties.
- Chicken Stock - Gallus gallus domesticus (Phasianidae) - Another perfect food is homemade chicken stock. Chicken stock is essentially a distilled chicken, with the solid elements, fats and sediment removed there is nothing but pure gelatin remaining. Bone gelatin has amazing healing properties as it contains minerals found only in the marrow and connective tissue of an animal. Chicken stock is known to calm the nerve endings in the stomach like no other food. Avoid store bought chicken stock as even organic prepared stock normally contains MSG-like ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. Chicken stock has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Distilled Water - Aqua (H2O) - Perhaps the most important element of health and purification is pure water. As store-bought bottled distilled water tends to leach large amounts of plastic residues, it is important that distilled water be made in a home distiller. Ideally, BPA-free plastic containers are used to collect and store the water (note that older containers will eventually stop leaching the chemical). BPA stands for Bispenol-A, a known carcinogen and hormone distruptor used as a plasticizer. A close second to distilled water is reverse osmosis water which can be obtained for about thirty cents per gallon at most supermarkets. Distilled water has cleansing properties.
- Garlic - Allium Sativum (Liliaceae) - Garlic contains the antioxidant allicin, which is formed from alliin and allinase when the cloves are freshly crushed. Garlic helps to reduce blood pressure, lowers cholesterol and cleanses the liver. Garlic helps the body to process fats such as butter. Offering unique health benefits when consumed in raw versus cooked or aged, Garlic kills parasites and has antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
- Grapefruit Juice - Citrus sinensis (Rutaceae) - Grapefruit contains lycopene, a potent antioxidant along with vitamin A, vitamin C, pectin and phytonutrients called limonoids. Grapefruit juice is a special food because it (along with melon) does not require any stomach acid to digest. Grapefruit juice is also a powerful cleanser. Grapefruit has antitumor, antibiotic, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties.
- Honey - Apis Mellifera (Apidae) - Honey is a super food that contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Honey contains polyphenols, amino acids and simple carbohydrates. Honey is non-perishable and helps to promote clear skin. For instant soothing relief of a sore throat try a combination of local honey with lemon juice. Prefer local honey as it helps to relieve allergies by providing a concentrated dose of the local pollen which is often their cause. Honey has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Lemon Juice - Citrus Limon (Rutaceae) - Fresh lemon juice has a strong alkalizing effect on the body. Lemon contains vitamin C. Lemon relieves stomach discomfort and removes gallstones when combined with olive oil. Lemons help prevent atherosclerosis, diabetes, kidney stones and osteoarthritis. Fresh lemon juice is a great deodorant and aftershave, and promotes healing. Lemon has antibacterial, antiseptic, and antimicrobial properties.
- Onion - Allium Cepa (Liliaceae) -The same volatile elements of freshly diced onion that make the eyes weep, namely sulfoxides and sulfenic acids, can bring immediate and powerful relief to congested lungs and sinuses. Onion contains the antioxidant quercetin along with vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium and folic acid. Onion relieves allergy symptoms and congestion along with helping reduce cholesterol. Onion can treat and prevent cataracts, atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease and helps remove heavy metals from the body. Onion has antimicrobial and expectorant properties.
- Valerian - Valeriana officinalis (Valerianaceae) - Valerian root is a nerve tonic used as a natural sleep aid and muscle relaxant. Containing the key constituent valerianic acid, valerian reduces nervous tension and promotes restful sleep. Valerian acts both as a sedative to those who are over-anxious and as a stimulant to those experiencing fatigue. Useful to treat spasms, neck tension, exhaustion, headache, backache, IBS, menstrual cramps, and to normalize blood pressure, valerian is safe, non-habit forming, and with few if any side effects. Note that valerian does have an unpleasant odor though one which cats love. Valerian contains volatile oils (bornyl acetate and beta-caryphyllene), iridoids (valepotriates), valtrate, isovaltrate, and alkaloids. Valerian has adaptogenic properties.
Probiotics Information: Health Freedom Alliance 12/12/2012 - Probiotics Improve Symptoms Of The Common Cold
Common Cold Information: Dr. Mercola 11/15/2010 - A Simple Way To Slash Your Risk Of Colds by 50%
Common Cold Information: Dr. Mercola 11/22/2010 - A Simple, Inexpensive Trick To Cure A Cold
Common Cold Information: Dr. Mercola 12/22/2010 - This One Activity Will Slash Your Chance Of A Cold By 50%
Common Cold Information: Dr. Mercola 3/16/2012 - Here's A Trick To Feel Better Fast
Common Cold Information: Natural News 6/26/2010 - Natural Remedies Cure Summer Colds
Common Cold Information: Natural News 11/10/2010 - Avoid Colds And Flu By Eliminating Sugar And Enlisting The Natural Duo
Common Cold Information: Natural News 2/11/2010 - Use These Natural Supplements To Fight The Common Cold
Common Cold Information: Natural News 2/17/2011 - Zinc Lozenges Effectively Prevent, Reduce Duration Of Common Colds
Common Cold Information: Natural News 8/8/2012 - Medical Researchers Suggest That Garlic May Prevent The Common Cold
Common Cold Information: Natural News 10/6/2012 - Kiwifruit Helps Kick The Common Cold
Common Cold Information: Natural News 10/26/2012 - THYME For Cold, Flu, And Other Organisms
Common Cold Information: Natural News 11/15/2012 - Fight Colds This Winter With Effective Natural Remedies
Common Cold Information: Natural News 12/27/2012 - Healing Colds Naturally: Nature's Medicine Cabinet
Common Cold Information: Natural News 1/31/2015 - Science Had It Wrong - Cold Weather Can Make You Sick