Oregano is a wonderful, aromatic herb that is native to the Mediterranean. It is thought to have originated in the mountainous regions of Greece, Turkey and Italy. It was named by the Ancient Greeks "Mountain Joy." Oregano is one of the most powerful healing herbs and natural anti-biotics ever studied.
Oregano has a warming and aromatic flavor to it. It can be very hot and bitter at times when it is picked fresh. The bite usually wanes as it is dried. Oregano became a staple of Italian American foods. American soldiers who were stationed in Europe during World War II brought Oregano back as the "pizza herb." It was soon used in more popularity in pastas, grilled/roasted veggies, meat & fish. It is also popularly used in meat marinates and salad dressings.
Oregano Oil is an extraordinarily powerful natural anti-biotic. Oregano has been found in a recent study to be significantly better than all of the 18 currently used anti-biotics in the treatment of MRSA staph infections. The strong phenol anti-oxidants destroy pathogenic bacteria, viruses and yeasts.
Incredible Anti-Oxidant Capacity
This super herb is very rich in anti-oxidant phytochemical flavonoids and phenolic acids. It is the third highest herb in oxygen radical absorbancy capacity (ORAC) with an impressive score of 200,129. Oregano is one of the world's greatest sources of the powerful phenol component thymol. Thymol is great for improving digestive function as well as destroying harmful microbes.
The USDA ranks Oregano's antioxidant capacity anywhere from 3 to 20 times higher than any other herb. Oregano has four times the antioxidant power of blueberries, 12 times that of oranges and 42 times greater than apples.
Oregano Oil has been classically used as a disinfectant, an aid for ear, nose, & throat/respiratory infections, candida, and any sort of bacterial or viral conditions. Additionally, it works to suppress inflammatory mediators and cancer cell production. Oregano Oil is more potent than the dried herb; however, the dried version still contains many powerful health benefits.
Studies have shown that carvacrol, a phenol anti-oxidant within Oregano has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity when applied to food or taken in supplement form. Oregano also contains rosmarinic acid which has very strong cancer fighting properties.
Use dried Oregano on vegetables, meat dishes and salads. Oregano Oil can be used as an aromatic essential oil and/or as a medicinal. Simply put a dash behind your ear and a dash on your neck. Strong Oregano Oil may burn a little but will wear down in a few seconds. One could also ingest Oregano Oil - 1-5 small drops in a glass of water as it is particularly strong.
Sources For This Article Include:
Rebecca Tarrant, writing for Ask a Prepper, provides a list of 12 of the most powerful antibiotics known to man and not a single one was created in a laboratory. [Related: Learn more about natural healing at Nutrients.news.]
- Goldenseal (Hydrastis Canadensis): This plant, native to North America, is a traditional treatment for skin infections resulting from scrapes and cuts. The leaf extract is so powerful that it can treat not only minor abrasions, but even superbugs like MRSA methicillin resistant Stapholococcus aureus.
- Garlic (Allium Sativum): While many of us are very familiar with garlic's delicious cooking properties, its powerful medicinal powers are less well known. Garlic is a potent antibacterial when crushed and exposed to air, and laboratory studies have found it as effective as penicillin at treating many infections, though studies on its efficacy against superbug infections is limited.
[Related: Discover the healing power of garlic at NaturalPedia.com.]
- Ginger (Zingiber Officinale): Ginger is a powerful anti-fungal, anti-viral and antibacterial, and is traditionally used to treat coughs and colds. It has also shown promise in the fight against more serious infections like pneumonia and even superbugs.
- Indigo (Baptisia sp.): The Indigo plant has proven to be an effective treatment against typhoid. While we do not see many cases of this disease in the U.S., it is interesting to note that typhoid and food-borne salmonella which does affect about 1 million people each year are very similar bacteria. It is therefore logical to assume that indigo would also be an effective treatment for cases of salmonella poisoning.
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra): This powerful anti-inflammatory is an excellent treatment for allergies and asthma. A word of warning, though: Pregnant women should not consume licorice, and it should be avoided by those with high blood pressure.
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum): This well-known spice is an effective treatment for gingivitis as well as other irritations and infections of the mouth.
- Honey: Honey is a powerful antibacterial that also speeds up recovery from burns. It can also prevent infection and promote healing.
- Turmeric (Curcuma Longa): The anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties of turmeric make it an effective healer even of wounds that are slow to heal like diabetic wounds and pressure ulcers. It is most effective when used as an ointment.
- Elderberry (Sambucus Nigra): Elderberry boosts immunity, making the body better able to fight off any infection and helping to avoid the necessity for antibiotics.
- Echinacea (Echinacea Purpura): Studies have found that Echinacea is at least as effective as pharmaceutical anti-viral drugs in the treatment of the common flu. Patients who take Echinacea have been found to suffer fewer complications and side effects than those treated with anti-virals.
- Cumin (Cuminum Cyminum): This well-known Middle Eastern spice is a powerful antimicrobial, and can treat mouth infections that even antibiotics are useless against. It is likely, therefore, that it would be effective against superbugs.
- Cranberries: Cranberries contain anti-inflammatory properties which mean they can both prevent and treat urinary tract infections (UTIs). By preventing bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder, cranberries also help to prevent recurring bladder infections.
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 10/28/2008 - Oregano Shown To Be The Most Powerful Culinary Herb
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 10/27/2009 - Oregano Oil Eliminates Parasites In Humans
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 2/7/2012 - Oregano Delivers More Antioxidants Than Blueberries, Oranges Or Apples
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 5/31/2012 - Herbs And Natural Cures Kill Deadly Superbugs Like MRSA And Flesh Eating Bacteria
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 1/8/2013 - Chicken Farmer Uses Oregano Oil, Cinnamon In Place Of Antibiotics
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 6/16/2014 - Natural Antibiotics To Stockpile Now: 10 Herbs And Foods That Kill Superbugs
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 8/8/2014 - Five Natural Antibiotics That Fight Illness And Promote Health
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 2/12/2015 - Make This Natural Antibiotic Formula At Home To Treat Any Infection
Natural Antibiotics Information: Natural News 3/7/2015 - Cranberries Are Natural Antibiotics