A salt lamp is simply a chunk of mined salt that has been hollowed out to allow room for a lightbulb or tiny candle. The light glows through the medium of the salt crystal, which can range in color from a dark salmon pink to a pale orange. Salt crystals for salt lamps are mined in Russia and central Europe as well as in the Himalayas. Salt lamps make attractive accent lights. Their main attraction, however, is that the heating of the salt causes the crystal to release negative ions (often called simply 'ions').
Negative ions have long been considered healthy; the sea air, mountain air and the air around swiftly running water is high in negative ions. Indoor air, recirculated air, and air around electronic equipment is very low in negative ions. Many office workers who suffer health complaints around fluorescent lighting and computer monitors report considerably less fatigue and headaches if the concentration of negative ions in the air is increased. Why negative ions may be beneficial is only partially understood.
It has been shown that negative ions in the air bind with airborne pollutants, making them heavier so that they fall to the ground, and therefore are unavailable to be inhaled. Many modern air purifiers - the so-called 'ionic air cleaners' - use this technique to provide cleaner indoor air for allergy sufferers. Some studies seem to indicate that an increase in negative ions in the air increases bloodflow to the brain, which would have the effect of improved concentration. The salt lamp is an attractive alternative to the utilitarian look of an air purifier.
The amount of negative ions a salt lamp can release depends on its size and how warm the candle or lightbulb can make it. The larger the crystal, obviously, the more expensive the lamp, but the larger area it can provide with negative ions. Salt lamps that produce 'night-light' amounts of light can provide ions to an area equal to the average office cubicle.
No two salt lamps or natural salt products will ever be alike. They naturally contain veins, cracks and striations. The colors of the salt crystals will range from light orange to dark red. There is no guarantee your salt lamps will look like any picture depicted on any site, as no two crystal salt lamps will ever be the same. Weight and size will vary within product styles. Due to these variances, no one can guarantee shape size or color.
Salt Lamps Are Used By:
- Allergy Sufferers A Salt Crystal Lamp in your vicinity will help your wellness and keep the air around you clean, ionized naturally, and beautifully.
- Anywhere you want the air quality to be improved or preserved anywhere you want to create a cozy, relaxing, wellness environment anywhere you want to enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Office Workers A lamp at work can help improve your concentration and refresh you, neutralizing the effects of stress, artificial light and air environment.
- Massage Rooms A lamp or two in the massage room will greatly enhance and create a natural ionizing, calming, wellness environment and will also keep the air fresh.
- Convalescents While you recover from an illness, a lamp by your bedside will be a comforting and healthy companion.
- Office Desk, Computer users Place a Salt Crystal Lamp near your computer to reduce fatigue, counter EMF (electro magnetic pollution) effects from equipment. The lamp will also minimize the effects of all that monitor radiation.
- Well accepted by Natural Health Practitioners A Salt Crystal Lamp glowing in your consulting or treating room assists the healing process and adds to a calming environment.
- Parents place a comforting Salt Crystal Lamp by your child's bedside. It is a completely safe and lovely night light, and will enhance your child's sleep, keeping the atmosphere clean.
- Feng Shui fans A few Salt Crystal Lamps placed at strategic spots will enhance and clear the energy of the room.
- Meditators When you repose in peace and quiet, a Salt Crystal lamp near you is known to enhance your meditative experience.
- Smokers A few lamps around smoky areas will clear away those lingering smells faster.
Salt Lamps Come In Several Shapes, Sizes, Weights And Colors