Apple Cider Vinegar:
The Wonder "Drug" Of Yesterday And Today Is A Living Testimony To The Power Of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Sarah-Kate Lynch Of The New Zealand Herald Wrote About Dr. Patricia Bragg:
"I've never had a coke, never had a beer or vodka, and these," says American health crusader, Dr. Patricia Bragg, thrusting her fingers towards me,"are virgin nails, all 10 of them. I have never worn nail polish. I don't need a girdle and I don't need a bra."
I've come to visit this eccentric, bright 5-foot nutritionist, to see what she has to say that has millions of Americans following her advice. She's the author of 22 books, one which promotes three glasses daily of 1 to 2 teaspoons equally of raw, organic apple cider vinegar and raw honey in a glass of distilled water to keep old age at bay. (Over 5 million copies sold.) "I specialize in longevity," she tells me, and practicing what she preaches certainly seems to have worked for her; although it's hard to tell exactly how well because her age is a secret. She demonstrates how limber she is and shows me how she used to dance with Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly and Arthur Murray; all of whom she advised on how to stay healthy and fit. She says that good posture equals instant youthfulness! I realize that no matter what age, this tiny, colorful powerhouse has more energy than 100,000 slobs put together.
"I love being a Health Crusader sharing the miracles of healthy living," she says. She credits her father, Paul C. Bragg with starting the health-food movement in America after making a pact with God at 16 to do just that if he survived the tuberculosis that was killing him. She continues his work, traveling the world lecturing on the benefits of healthy eating, selling her Bragg Healthy Lifestyle books and promoting her Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar and her Liquid Aminos.
Research worldwide supports and commends what Hippocrates (the father of medicine) found and treated his patients with in 400 B.C. He discovered that natural, undistilled Apple Cider Vinegar (or ACV)* is a powerful cleansing and healing elixir - a naturally occurring antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria - for a healthier, stronger, longer life!
The versatility of ACV as a powerful body cleansing agent is legendary. It's been traced to Egyptian urns as far back as 3000 B.C. The Babylonians used it as a condiment and preservative, while Julius Caesar's army used ACV tonic to stay healthy and fight off disease. The Greeks and Romans kept vinegar vessels for healing and flavoring. It was used in Biblical times as an antiseptic and a healing agent and is mentioned in the Bible. In Paris in the Middle Ages it was sold from barrels by street vendors as a body deodorant, healing tonic and a health vinegar drink.
Even Christopher Columbus and his crew on his voyage to
discover America in 1492 had their vinegar barrels for
prevention of scurvy as did the soldiers in the American
Civil War. For centuries in Japan, the feared Samurai
warriors drank it for strength and power. ACV has been
used for thousands of years not only for health reasons,
but also as a cleansing agent to remove bacteria, germs,
odors, and even stains and spots.
* The best is the Organic, Raw, Unfiltered, Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother," available at most Health Stores.
ACV - Mother Nature's Perfect Food
Natural (undistilled) organic, raw ACV can really be called one of Mother Nature's most perfect foods. It is made from fresh, crushed apples which are then allowed to mature naturally in wooden barrels, as wood seems to "boost" the natural fermentation. Natural ACV should be rich, brownish color and if held to the light you might see a tiny formation of "cobweb like" substances that we call the "mother." Usually some "mother" will show in the bottom of the ACV bottle the more it ages. It never needs refrigeration. You can also save some "mother" and transfer it to work in other natural vinegars. When you smell natural ACV, there's a pungent odor and sometimes it's so ripened it puckers your mouth and smarts your eyes - these are natural, good signs.
Why Has Natural Apple Cider Vinegar Disappeared From Grocers' Shelves?
The blame for the disappearance of natural raw Apple Cider Vinegar from supermarkets lies on the shoulders of the general public, as well as the producers of vinegar.
Most people buy food with their eyes, not thinking of good nutrition. The vinegar producers failed to enlighten the public on what powerful health qualities were locked within natural ACV. Why? Because most of them had not the slightest knowledge of the health values of natural, raw, organic, unfiltered, cloudy (and to some, less attractive looking) Apple Cider Vinegar with the "mother." They produced pasteurized, refined and distilled vinegars because the public demanded the clear look. It was simply filling current supply and demand.
Powerful Health Qualities Removed
You cannot completely blame the producers of vinegar. They are not nutritionists, nor are they biochemists. Their business is to give the customers what they want. Most people purchase vinegar for flavoring, also for pickling and marinating their foods. Some women use it to rinse their hair after shampooing, as it leaves it squeaky clean, softer and much easier to manage.
ACV is also a germ fighter in the home, lab, etc. Some mix it with water to wash windows, as it removes sludge and keeps them sparkling clean. ACV has hundreds of uses and its versatility is legendary as a powerful household cleansing and deodorizing agent free of dangerous chemicals.
ACV Has Powerful Health Qualities
Both the general public and the producers of vinegar have been informed as to the powerful health qualities of organic, raw, unfiltered, fully ripened ACV. Ignorance isn't always bliss! When most people see natural apple cider vinegar with the brownish color and the tiny, cobweb "mother" floating in it, they think it looks unappetizing. The general public has been educated and brainwashed to want everything they purchase to have perfect eye appeal!
To meet this demand that vinegar must be clear, light colored and free from the brownish, cobweb "mother" is the reason producers distill their vinegar. In distilling, the vinegar is turned to steam by heating. Therefore it destroys the powerful enzymes and distills out the life giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic fluorine, silicon, trace minerals and pectin as well as many other powerful nutrients! Distilling also destroys the natural malic and tartaric acids which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria.
You can see how the public, with their obsession for eye appeal foods, reacts. The producers of Apple Cider Vinegar, who agreed to sell their product for a profit, put a "death warrant" against healthy, organic, raw, fully ripened ACV. The public got what they wanted - a clear, appealing, but dead ACV. When natural ACV was hard to find, other strange vinegars began to appear on grocery shelves. The first was malt vinegar, a refined vinegar. it's clear and acceptable to the public. It tastes like vinegar, but has none of the healing qualities of natural, raw ACV.
Commercial Vinegars Are Real Tragedies
Then came the real tragedy: a food chemist produced an imitation vinegar from coal tar! It looked clean, white and tasted like vinegar. Today it's the most popular vinegar in supermarkets. it's cheaper than distilled vinegar or malt vinegar. Most people buy these worthless vinegars. there's nothing good about commercial vinegars, except they look clean and taste like vinegar. They have no health value! They don't contain the health values of organic, raw ACV with the mother. Millions worldwide never get the health benefits of this natural ACV as Hippocrates used in 400 B.C.
ACV Helps Stiffness Vanish From The Body
You will find, after several months of the ACV and honey cocktail taken 3 times daily - that the stiffness and misery will be gone from your joints and body. You will discover you can walk or run up several flights of stairs without any effort and pain! You will notice that you look and feel younger!
Make The Bragg Healthy Lifestyle a life long daily habit! Over the years we have seen many stiff-jointed, prematurely old people transform themselves into new, youthful, healthy people! We can't do it for you. You must make the effort to give this ACVand honey program a chance to prove what it can do for you!
Question About Apple Cider Vinegar
Many people have some preconceived idea that Apple Cider Vinegar is harmful to the body, Instead it's the distilled, pasteurized, filtered, the malt and synthetic dead vinegars that must be avoided for human consumption!
Let us assure you that there is nothing in this wonderful, organic, raw ACV that can in any way harm your body! People ask us about the merits and benefits of ACV. See the inside front cover for a list of some of the miracles it can perform.
Animal proteins and fats have a tendency to thicken the blood, while natural acids and enzymes in ACV help to keep the blood healthier and thinner. Also, that's why people naturally crave and serve cranberry sauce (which contains four different natural acids) with turkey and fowl. They serve applesauce with roast pork dishes, a slice of lemon with fish, or steak with mushrooms - all rich in natural acids.
The use of organic apple cider vinegar is a wonderful health aid, and the #1 food I recommend in helping to maintain the body's vital acid-alkine balance. Everyone should read the Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar book. - Gabriel Cousens, M.D., Author of Conscious Eating and Spiritual Nutrition.
The Benefits Of Cider Vinegar
Food has certainly been the down-fall of man's health. With all the rubbish he stuffs into his delicate, yet adaptable organism, it is no wonder that there is so much unnatural disease rampant today. From the day he ate his first meal man has forever abused his system with the wrong types of food. He has not been rational in his eating habits, but has merely satisfied his banal desire for stimulating, refined and processed fare.
The day will come, however, when he suddenly realizes that his food habits effect his physical as well as mental wellbeing. He will then realise that he had been satisfying his debased taste buds, rather than sustaining the body.
The wise, however, look toward nature for their answer; with patience and perseverance they have re-discovered the answer to man's dilemma. The answers although simple are extremely effective as they do not entail unnatural chemical compounds - it is the utilization of these wonderful gifts from nature which are so efficacious and free for all! There have been many natural curative formulae discovered throughout the centuries, which have proved themselves safe and yet effective. Natural resources have been used since the days before Christ viz: Sunshine, Water, Air - herbs and homebrews have been used for generations too by our ancestors. Honey is also a natural wonder, together with many other folk preparations which have been handed down through the ages.
Amongst these APPLE CIDER VINEGAR has been widely used as a successful remedy for a number of ailments. We find that, with the abuse of the body, inordinate amounts of waste matter have accumulated within the system. In the early stages these are not so apparent as the body is still vital enough to deal with this extra burden. However, if an attempt is not made to eradicate these toxic accumulations, the body has to deal with more and more pressure, resulting in aches and pains. Later in life these efforts to eliminate these encumberances result in influenza, bronchitis etc; and, if these healing efforts are suppressed by continued wrong living and drugs, the acute symptoms become chronic and insidious.
Rheumatism, Arthritis, Cancer, Heart Ailments, High Blood Pressure Etc, are all signs that the body has been neglected by the suppression of natural heating crisises. There are certain preparations, however, which assist the body in eliminating these toxic substances and this is where these natural curative methods have found a valuable place in the healing arts. To abstain from those foods and drinks which add to this unnecessary accumulation, is a great assistance to the body i.e. those refined and denatured food items such as bread, starch, white sugar, and their products; together with the unnecessary food items which cause excessive mucous and toxic waste in the system e.g. meat, eggs, dairy produce, legumes, cereals.
However, one may now ask what should one eat if these are to be eliminated from the diet. Where one cannot completely abstain from these products, moderation is the key word in this instance, together with certain herbal and folk preparations which assist in the breakdown of the acids and mucous waste.
It Is At This Point That The Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar Will Be Discussed:
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away" (the dentist too!) - is an oft quotation which should not be considered as just an obsolete "Old Wives Tale", as there is more than meets the eye in these axioms of yore. Apples are among the most health-giving fruits available as they contain a host of nutritious properties viz: Phosphorous, Cholerine, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium, Calcium, Sulphur, Iron, Fluorine, Silicon, plus many trace elements, and all of these are found in PURE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.
What Does It Do?
Amongst other things, cider vinegar is very effective in detoxicating various organs in the body together with the blood stream. Hence it is a purifier, as it has a means of breaking down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. It therefore, promotes the health of the vital organs of the body e.g. kidneys, bladder, liver etc., by preventing an excessively alkaline urine. Cider vinegar also helps oxidate the blood which consequently prevents the blood from becorning too thick and gluey, which gives rise to a strained heart and blood vessels resulting in high blood pressure. Cider vinegar also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination and it neutralizes any toxic substance taken into the body. There have been a number of instances where people who had taken a mixture of cider vinegar and water before a meal were unaffected by diarrhoea, or digestive upsets, whilst their companions who ate the same meal were. Hence the cider vinegar seemed to neutralize the harmful substances in the food eaten.
Apple cider vinegar has a potent supply of potassium which has become so widely acclaimed in the helping of various complaints including: running nose. Excessive mucous formation, watery eyes, sinus and catarrhal troubles. Teeth decay and the splitting of finger nails are also signs of potassium deficiency which are remedied by taking cider vinegar. Potassium is essential for the normal growth of the body and for the replacement of worn-out tissues which depend upon the presence of this mineral. It is as important to the soft tissues, as calcium is to the bones and teeth and it also retards the hardening of the blood vessels.
As potassium is so important in the healthy growth of a plant, animal and human, a deficiency of this mineral will produce such tendencies as callous formations on the soles of the feet, or the failure to replace worn-out tissues as observed in the loss of hair.
Tests have proven that a soil deficient in this mineral-salt will produce anaemic and undersized plants, however, when potassium is introduced into the soil the plant becomes sturdier and increases in height. This is also the case with animals, where potassium which was fed to livestock, in the form of cider vinegar, improved their appearance and stamina. Humans too, can benefit with this increased potassium intake. Especially where children are slow developers and appear undersized. A few teaspoons of cider vinegar taken with water each morning will show tremendous results. The best way to introduce cider vinegar to the family, is to substitute it for the ordinary table vinegar and use it in the cooking. Potassium acts as a restraining influence upon those who are over-excitable and nervous. It draws fluid back into the cells, for when potassium is lacking the body cells shrink and their normal activity is restricted.
The Uses Of Cider Vinegar
A number of outstanding authorities have proven the therapeutic advantages of using cider vinegar for numerous complaints ranging from obesity and overweight to arthritis. Besides the therapeutic benefits derived from taking cider vinegar therapy, as outlined in this book, it can also be used for a number of other purposes e.g. salad dressing, pickling, a flavour in cooking etc. It also makes a very refreshing drink, hot or cold, with or without honey - this should take the place of normal tea and coffee which are so habit-forming and unnecessary commodities.
Try using cider vinegar where lemon juice is required e.g. in making mayonnaise, or just sprinkle some on a salad before serving; sprinkle on pawpaw for a refreshing breakfast, or just use on potato chips!
Effects Of Cider Vinegar On The Blood
When the blood is deficient in some minerals or biochemic salt, ill-health is the outcome e.g. boils break out, suppurating blisters become apparent, pimples appear on the face etc. It has been found however, that cider vinegar helps with the cleansing as well as the clotting of the blood. Oxidation of the blood is very important and cider vinegar is again an effective treatment for this. Besides introducing the important minerals into the blood stream, as mentioned above, cider vinegar also helps in the clotting of blood. This is of tremendous help to those people who are commonly termed "bleeders", as they live their lives in fear of cutting themselves due to the bloods inability to clot, and it will also enhance the healing process.
- Arthritis:Use the cider vinegar and honey treatment for arthritis and also apply cider vinegar externally to painful joints. This entails drinking a glass of water with two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey three times a day. Local treatment can also be given by soaking the arthritic hand, or foot in a strong, comfortably hot solution of cider vinegar for ten minutes, two or three times a day - (a quarter of a cup of cider vinegar to one and a half cups of water). Arthritic knees can be attended to by making a poultice - soak the cloth in a mixture of cider vinegar and water, (as per above mixture) wring out and wrap it around the joint, then secure with a dry cloth to retain heat. When the wet cloth cools, it should be wrung out in the hot solution and applied afresh. Repeat several times, twice daily.
- Asthma:One tablespoonful of cider vinegar added to a glass of water should be taken in sips for half an hour. After a further half an hour has elapsed the treatment should be repeated. The wheezing should lessen in intensity quite considerably. However, should wheezing still persist a second glass of the same mixture should be taken. Deep breathing exercises are also a beneficial treatment.
- Blood Loss:It has been discussed above how cider vinegar helps in preventing blood losses. In any circumstances where the flow of blood is too free and is too persistent, such as when a person has a nose bleed without any apparent reason, then two teaspoons of cider vinegar in a glass of water, three times a day will aid in restoring the natural clotting properties of the blood.
- Colitis:The cider vinegar and honey treatment has been used effectively in the treatment for colitis. Take the normal dosage of two teaspoons cider vinegar and honey with water, three times a day. An enema of a teaspoonful or more of molasses is also very helpful.
- Coughs:There are many types of coughs for various reasons, and these should be treated with reference to their nature and intensity. However, the cider vinegar and honey treatment will prove an efficacious treatment in this respect. Two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two of honey mixed with a glassful of water should be taken before meals, or when the irritation occurs. In the evening it would be an idea to have this mixture by your bed so that it can be sipped during the evening if an attack presents itself.
- Diarrhea:It has been mentioned above how cider vinegar helps with the digestion, assimilation and elimination of food, and that it is an antiseptic to the intestines and the whole of the digestive tract. Due to it's healing properties, diarrhoea can be controlled in a very short time, (that is unless some serious physical disorder is apparent). The treatment being, one teaspoonful of cider vinegar in a glass of water should be taken before and inbetween meals i.e. approximately six glasses during the course of the day. It should be noted, however, that diarrhoea is a natural attempt on the part of the body to eliminate some poison which is irritating the digestive tract, on no account should any drugs be taken to suppress these healing symptoms - on the other hand the cider vinegar will lessen the intensity, but will allow the natural course of elimination to take place.
- Dizziness:Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar together with two teaspoons of honey in a glass of hot or cold water three times a day should help this annoying occurrence quite considerably. However, one should never expect instant results, as nature works slowly, yet very effectively. You will notice a lessened intensity whilst you progress.
- Ear Discharge:The treatment for this complaint, which usually occurs during childhood is: one teaspoonful of cider vinegar in a glass of water to be taken mid morning and mid afternoon. The discharge should shortly disappear.
- Eczema:Take the usual dosage of cider vinegar and honey in a glassful of water three times a day, with meals. An application of well diluted cider vinegar can also be applied to the skin several times daily i.e. one teaspoonful to half a cup of water. Under no circumstances should salt be taken, as this aggravates the eczema condition considerably. There is usually a potassium deficiency in those people suffering from eczema.
- Eyes (Tired And Sore):The cider vinegar therapy together with honey is the essential ingredients here. Two teaspoons of each taken in a glassful of water, three times a day. This mixture retards the onset of tired and sore eyes which are usually apparent in later life, as it supplies them with those vital elements essential to their health and functioning.
- Fatigue:Chronic fatigue is a warning that the body needs some
attention. Most people suffering from chronic fatigue do
not have enough good, sound sleep. Either they go to bed
too late, or they are one of those people who just need
more sleep than most. It is better to get as many hours
in bed before midnight as possible. To remedy a poor
quality sleep, honey is highly recommended, as it acts
as a sedative to the body. Twenty minutes after the
honey has been taken into the mouth it has been digested
and absorbed into the body. This is because it is a
predigested sugar, which has been digested in the
stomach of the honey bee, and therefore requires no
effort on the part of the human stomach for digestion.
Keep the following mixture by your bedside to be taken
as indicated: three teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to
a cup of honey.
Take two teaspoons of the mixture before retiring. This should induce sound sleep within an hour, if however, you have been unable to sleep within this period repeat the dosage.
- Food Poisoning:As mentioned earlier there have been many cases where people who were in the habit of taking cider vinegar regularly never suffer any side effects from food poisoning. The cider vinegar has an antiseptic quality which seems to render noxious food harmless.
- Hair Loss:The falling out of hair is primarily due to a tissue salt deficiency, thus cider vinegar with its "wonder products" will re-establish a natural balance, and supply the deficiencies where needed. Therefore, by taking the cider vinegar treatment the hair will maintain its natural growth. It will cease to fall out and grow more rapidly and thickly. This will take approximately two months, so perseverence is needed. The dosage is one teaspoonful of cider vinegar to a glass of water to be taken with or between meals. Cider vinegar can also be used externally for the treatment of dandruff, see under heading of External Treatments.
- Hayfever:This ailment is marked by watery eyes, sneezing and running nose, in other words there is an excess of fluid which the body is drastically trying to offload. For an effective relief, honey and cider vinegar should be utilized which will bring excellent results. A tablespoonful of honey should be taken after each meal for approximately a fortnight before the onset of the hay-fever season. The ordinary dosage of cider vinegar and honey should then be taken viz: two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two of honey in a glass of water, three times a day. This dosage should be maintained during the entire hay-fever season.
- Headaches:There are several types of headache, caused by various reasons. Some are associated with organic disorders, such as kidney troubles, others are known as psychogenic, or tension headaches. Then we have the most annoying of all; the migraine headache. Many people have had relief from headaches by the use of honey. Two teaspoons taken at each meal may well prevent an attack. Another effective means is to take apple cider vinegar. Equal parts of cider vinegar and water should be placed in a small basin on the stove, allowing it to boil slowly. When the fumes begin to rise from the basin lean your head over it until the fumes are comfortably strong. Inhale for approximately 50 to 80 breaths. Generally this alleviates the headache considerably, if not entirely.
- Hearing:(Impaired) The treatment of impaired hearing has had excellent results on the apple cider vinegar therapy. Take the normal dosage three times daily and notice the improvement.
- Heartburn:This usually occurs after eating, sometimes up to two hours later. This very unpleasant feeling can be alleviated by taking the usual dosage of cider vinegar and water before meals.
- Hemorroids:As previously pointed out cider vinegar helps the blood
to clot more easily. When a person who regularly drinks
cider vinegar cuts himself, the wound will dry up almost
instantaneously, as there will be no profuse bleeding.
If, however, wounds do not heal quickly, the following
procedure should be undertaken; two teaspoons of cider
vinegar taken in half or a whole glass of water at
mealtimes as well as in between, therefore six glasses
in all are imbibed. For extra efficiency a very weak
solution of cider vinegar with water can be applied to
the sore, wound or cut.
Poultices of cider vinegar (see instructions under the heading Arthritis) can be applied to a stubborn open wound.
- Hiccups:These have been known to be eradicated by drinking a teaspoon of cider vinegar neat! Alternatively cider vinegar with water can be taken before mealtimes to prevent this occurrence.
- High Blood Pressure: There are a number of reasons why a person suffers from this common yet serious condition. As mentioned earlier, health will be maintained only if one is prepared to adjust his living and eating habits. Cider vinegar is not the cure-ail of man's suffering, it is only one of the many means towards a healthier and happier life. In the case of High Blood Pressure, one's eating habits must be taken stock of to ensure a speedy and effective recovery. Emphasis is on the natural, organically grown foods which are given to us in the form of fresh fruits, vegetables and honey - rather than the high protein foods which include eggs, meat, milk, cheese, nuts, beans etc. A balance must be maintained between the proteins and carbohydrates and one should definitely not over indulge on these protein and starchy foods. Wheat products should also be eliminated completely, together with salt which is very detrimental to the health, especially for those suffering from high blood pressure. The following dosage should be taken daily: two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water - up to three to four times a day.
- Insomnia:There are also a number of causes as to why people suffer from insomnia; however, there have been excellent results with the cider vinegar and honey treatment as follows: two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two of honey in a glass of water to be taken before retiring. It would also be beneficial to have a glass of this mixture by the bedside to sip if needed. Under no circumstances should drugs be resorted to, as these are both harmful and habit-forming. Under severe cases, a naturopath or homeopath should be consulted. If has been found that the prime cause of insomnia is due to a deficiency of phosphate of potash and phosphate of iron; this combination can be found in the biochemic salt known as kali phos, which can be obtained from your local health shop.
- Kidneys And Bladder:Due to the eliminative nature of cider vinegar, the kidneys and bladder can benefit tremendously by a "flushing", which they receive when the following cider vinegar therapy is undertaken: two teaspoons of cider vinegar in a glass of water six times a day. It would be beneficial to drink a couple of glasses of water in the morning, taking one teaspoonful of cider vinegar in each drink. Comfrey tea, first thing in the morning with a teaspoon of cider vinegar will also create a sufficient cleansing action. Inflammation of the kidneys, called pyelitis, in which pus cells are present in the urine, will generally clear up with the above mentioned treatment.
- Menstruation:Chronic pains and profuse menstruation has afflicted women for centuries. The cider vinegar therapy certainly regulates and normalizes profuse bleeding. The dosage should be as normal i.e. two teaspoons of cider vinegar in a glassful of water three times a day. The diet should also be taken into consideration, as a high animal protein diet together with wheat products will cause considerable pain when the periods begin. In other words moderation should be used if one is partaking of these foods. However, meat, poultry, fish and wheat should be completely eliminated from the diet, together with the other unnatural foods of which man is so prone. A noticeable improvement will be experienced when the diet is kept to the fresh raw fruits and fresh salads, together with the apple cider vinegar therapy. Also plenty of water should be taken whilst menstruating, as this helps in a speedy elimination.
- Mucous Discharges:Postnasal drips and watery eyes are also due to a faulty diet, here again this should be thoroughly investigated, as the body is eliminating excessive mucous caused by the wrong types of food. This is often caused by a lack of potassium in the diet too, hence the cider vinegar therapy will help considerably. The usual dosage as prescribed above should be taken three times a day before meals. Wheat should be eliminated from the diet completely and rye and corn products should be substituted, if required.
- Nail Problems:Brittle, cracking, fragile and thin nails are a sign of some deficiency and faulty metabolism in the body. Cider vinegar has been known to remedy this particular complaint, with the results of healthy, strong nails. Also any white spots which were present on the nails previously will be eliminated. Dosage being: two teaspoons in a glassful of water three times a day.
- Nervousness:There have been cases where nervousness has been remedied with the cider vinegar and honey treatment. In this instance a glassful of water mixed with two teaspoons of each i.e. cider vinegar and honey to be taken three times a day. Refined flour and sugar products should be completely eliminated from the diet, together with wheat products. One should also cut down on the starch and high protein foods as much as possible and eat plenty of fresh salads and fruit.
- Nose Bleed:As an excessive nose bleed is caused by the blood being unable to clot as it should normally, the cider vinegar treatment will prove efficacious in this respect i.e. two teaspoons of cider vinegar in a glassful of water three times daily.
- Nose - Stuffy:In this respect the cider vinegar can be used as an inhalant. Use as per method described under the heading Headaches. The nasal passages will shortly clear after having inhaled the vapour. This treatment is very effective in removing the congestion in the sinuses, together with any inflammation which may result from this excessive accumulation of mucous.
- Obesity:There are a number of reasons why a person is assailed with excessive fat deposits. This is apparent in both sexes and cannot, from professional data, be attributed to any one major factor. Obesity, often eventuates from the excessive intake of alcohol, thereby causing water retention in the tissues. This is often apparent by the "swollen" appearance of the face. There are also certain drugs which are apt to cause obesity and thus the body increases in weight. Overeating, insufficient oxidation of the blood, insufficient exercise, lack of fresh air etc, are also attributed to this ailment. However, Cyril Scott mentions in his booklet on cider vinegar that the prime cause of obesity is the insufficient oxidation of the blood, he goes on to say, "Now the safe and salubrious treatment, proved over years of trial, is to be found in nothing more complicated than cider vinegar - the reason being, as already implied, that the ailment is conductive to the proper oxidation of the blood." Two teaspoons of cider vinegar should be taken in a glassful of water on rising in the morning. To obtain the best results possible this should be taken before each meal and during the day over a period of some time. Natural methods always take longer to work, as the body has to adapt itself, especially the skin in this instance, as if too much weight is lost in a short period of time, then it will hang and look unsightly. The drink should be sipped during the course of the meal which will also prevent overeating and it will promote digestion. According to some authorities, the average weight reduction is 1.5 Ibs. a week. This all depends upon whether the diet has been adjusted. Salt should be discontinued immediately as this harmful commodity retains water - herbal beverages such as comfrey should take the place of tea and coffee. Wholesome, nutritious and MODERATION is the key to weightless, together with deep breathing and physical exercise.
- Shingles:Cider vinegar relieves the pain arising from shingles if applied, undiluted, six times daily to the area of distress. It also promotes the healing. Take internally as well as prescribed above.
- Sore Throat:To treat this, one should gargle with apple cider vinegar. One teaspoonful of vinegar in a glass of water is the dosage to be used. A mouthful of this solution is gargled every hour, and the second mouthful after gargling should be swollowed. This is to be repeated every hour until the condition of the throat is improved.
- Teeth:Due to cider vinegar improving the calcium metabolism of the body, it is excellent for improving the condition of the teeth. Tartar deposits can also be eradicated by using the cider vinegar as a mouthwash and by brushing your teeth with it to enhance the whiteness. For the mouthwash, one teaspoonful of cider vinegar should be added to a glassful of water - repeat this procedure each night until the required results are achieved. This habit, together with the drinking of cider vinegar will prevent tooth decay quite considerably. The mouthwash can also be used for sore gums, or ulcerated gums - be sure that the solution is not too strong in this case, as it will slightly sting an open sore.
- Varicose Veins:Apply undiluted cider vinegar to the area where the veins are affected. This should be undertaken in the morning and evening. Massage well - always directed towards the heart e.g. as in the case of the legs, start from the ankles and move in upward strokes towards the thigh. Cider vinegar and honey should also be taken three times a day, i.e. two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two of honey mixed with a glassful of water.
- Weight Gain:As cider vinegar supplies those organs of the body which are deficient in some mineral and normalizes the functioning of these organs, those who are underweight will find that cider vinegar will help in normalizing their weight. In this instance the following dosage should be adhered to: two teaspoons of cider vinegar and two of honey in a glass of water three times a day.
- Weight Loss:(Also see Obesity) Cider vinegar will gradually decrease the weight of the body, as it tends to make the body burn up the fat instead of storing it. Some people have had results by just taking the cider vinegar without adjusting their eating habits. However, it is recommended that one should concentrate on the LIVE FOODS, rather than continue to live on the devitalized diet which is so prevalent today. The cider vinegar method, as mentioned under Obesity should be utilized three times daily.
- External ApplicationsThe skin is a very important part of the body, as it is
the major organ of elimination. Besides being an
effective eliminator the skin also absorbs substances
into the body. In view of this fact it is very important
to understand that we should be very careful with what
we place on the skin. Unnatural substances such as
cosmetics, which contain chemicals are very detrimental
to the skin health. This is also true for the commercial
soap we use for washing the body. The skin needs an acid
mantle to maintain its lustre and glow - however, due to
the extreme alkalinity of soap reacting on the skin,
this causes a number of disorders. Soap also contains
animal fats and hormones, synthetic perfumes and
preservatives; therefore, it should not be used to
cleanse the body.
However, cider vinegar is an effective method of cleansing the body. A hand bath or a full bath can be taken in cider vinegar and water. A hand bath should be preceded as follows: to half a glass of warm water should be added one teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar. Cup the palm of the hand and pour in approximately a palmful of the mixture. First apply to the arms and shoulders, rubbing the solution into the skin briskly. The legs and feet can be done in the same manner, together with the body. A brisk rubbing action should be used to massage the cider vinegar solution into the skin. You will soon find that the solution has been completely absorbed by the skin, therefore, no towelling down is needed.
- For A Bath:Instead of using soap, add a half pint of apple cider vinegar to the water and remain submerged in the water for at least fifteen minutes so that the skin surface of the body may have a chance to absorb some of the acid water. This is extremely important for those people who have an alkaline skin; this condition will be indicated by those people who continually suffer from skin irritation, and they are forever scratching their skin.
- Itchy Scalp:Take one teaspoonful of apple cider vinegar mixed with a glassful of water - dip your comb into the solution and comb the hair thoroughly until saturated. This should be performed fifteen minutes or so before actually washing the hair. This treatment also helps with the elimination of dandruff.
The following vinegar cooking tips are easy to implement in the kitchen, will improve the final dish and will often simplify the task at the same time.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar for every 2 1/2 cups of flour will help bread to rise. Reduce the amount of water added by the same amount of vinegar added.
- To add luster to the crust of homemade bread, brush the top of the bread with vinegar two minutes before it is done, then finish baking it in the oven.
- A great buttermilk substitute can be made by simply adding 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of fresh or canned evaporated milk and letting the mixture stand for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Cheese can be kept soft and mold-free by wrapping it in a cloth saturated with vinegar and then keeping it in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- You can reduce excess sweetness and enhance the flavor of pies and other desserts by adding a teaspoon of vinegar to the recipe.
- Pie meringue can be made fluffier and more stable by adding 1 teaspoon of vinegar for every 3 egg whites.
- Pie crust can be made flakier by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the recipe.
- Improve the moistness of any cake mix by adding a teaspoon of vinegar.
- When making hard boiled eggs add 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the cooking water to prevent the egg white from leaking out of any shell cracks.
- For poached eggs, vinegar in the poaching water will help the eggs keep their shape.
- If you run out of eggs while baking, you can substitute 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for each egg needed.
- To make the task of scaling fish easier, first rub the whole fish with vinegar. This will have the added benefit of keeping your hands from smelling fishy.
- When cooking, add a tablespoon of apple cider or white wine vinegar to fried or boiled fish to bring out the flavor and tenderize the flesh.
- Clean fruits by soaking them in a solution of vinegar and water (2 tablespoons to a gallon of water) to help remove chemical residues and insects.
- Prevent cut and peeled fruits, such as apples, from browning by placing them into an apple cider vinegar solution (1 tablespoon ACV in the holding water) until they are ready to be used.
- Tenderize meats by marinating them in a wine vinegar mixed with herbs. This will also enhance the meat flavor. Marinate very tough pieces of meat overnight in the refrigerator.
- Make your own Vinegar Based BBQ Sauce that will add flavor and tenderize any barbeque meat.
- To lessen the gamey flavor of wild meat, soak the meat in a vinegar-water solution prior to cooking.
- Improve the flavor and texture of boiled meat by cooking with vinegar. Add a tablespoonof vinegar to the cooking water.
- When making pasta, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the cooking water to avoid adding salt and to prevent sticking.
- Cooking with vinegar makes for a fluffier rice. Just add a teaspoon of apple cider or rice vinegar to the cooking water.
- Clean vegetables by soaking them in a solution of vinegar and water (2 tablespoons to a gallon of water) to help remove chemical residues and insects.
- To revive slightly wilted vegetables, add them to a pan of cold water to which 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar has been added. This will also help to destroy any undesirable microorganisms.
- When steaming vegetables, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the water used for steaming instead of table salt. The veggies will retain their bright colors and will not taste bland.
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 1/28/2009 - Effective Treatment For Candida
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 8/25/2009 - Detox And Cleanse With Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 3/17/2010 - Treat Lyme Disease With Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 7/30/2010 - Vinegar Offers Miraculous And Mundane Uses
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 11/1/2010 - Discover Health Benefits Of Organic, Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 2/26/2011 - Go Back In Time For Future Health With Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 10/1/2011 - Three Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits Weight Loss
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 5/3/2012 - Ten Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar In DIY Remedies
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 6/12/2012 - Infographic - Ten Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 11/29/2012 - Use Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses For Super Shiny, Soft Hair
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 3/15/2013 - Seven Powerful Therapeutic Uses Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 8/5/2013 - Appealing Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 6/2/2014 - Apple Cider Vinegar For Acne
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 11/10/2014 - Effective Apple Cider Vinegar Home Remedies
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 1/8/2015 - Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits Hair, Skin And Teeth
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Natural News 2/16/2015 - How To Make Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Dr. Mercola 6/2/2009 - What Research Says About Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Information: Dr. Mercola 8/20/2012 - Removes Pesticides from Your Vegetables And Fruits