Bible Food And Medicine:
This section may seem controversial to some, as I am going to discuss what the Bible say's about Wine, Food And Medicine. For those that may be offended by this topic, I might add that they should think of reading this section for educational purposes, from a Biblical point of view.
As you will see, wine was not only an alcoholic beverage. Wine was also considered a food and was generally accepted, as long as it did not cause drunkeness. Wine, because of It's alcoholic content, was also used as medicine.
The Bible is also very clear on what should and should not be eaten. In Biblical times laws or rules were created to let people know what foods were healthy and what foods were unhealthy. It should be remembered that people in those times were unaware of why disorders occured. They did not have ways to detect microbes and organisims, such as we do today, through the use of microscopes.
Also, Olive Oil, Honey, And Spices were used as a food and a medicine, with many references to anointing with oil and spices for purification of objects and humans.
You Will Also See Reference To Laughter Being Good Medicine.
The Source Of The Following Information Is From:
"THE NEW AMERICAN BIBLE". (NAB)
Genesis 1:29-31 (First Story Of Creation)
- (29)God also said: "See I give you every seed-bearing plant all over the earth, and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit on it to be your food;
- (30)And to all the animals of the land, all the birds of the air, and all living creatures that crawl on the ground, I give all the green plants for food." And it so happened.
- (31)God looked at everything he had made, and he found it very good. Evening came, and morning followed-- the sixth day.
It Is Obvious That God Gave Us "Seeds" From Plants & Tree's, For Food To Sustain Life.
Genesis 9:20-25 (Covenant With Noah)
- (20)Now Noah, a man of the soil, was the first to plant a vineyard.
- (21)When he drank some of the wine, he became drunk and lay naked inside his tent.
- (22)Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father's nakedness, and he told his two brothers outside about it.
- (23)Sem and Japheth, however, took a robe, holding it on their backs, they walked backward and covered their father's nakedness; since their faces were turned the other way, they did not see their fathers nakedness.
- (24)When Noah woke up from his drunkeness and learned what his youngest son had done to him,
- (25)he said: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves shall he be to his brothers."
It Is Obvious That This First Reported Drunkeness Was "Only Then" Made Sinful.
Genesis 19:30-35 (Destruction Of Sodom And Gomorrah)
- (30)Since Lot was afraid to stay in Zoar, he and his two daughters went up from Zoar and settled in the hill country, where he lived with his two daughters in a cave.
- (31)The older one said to the younger: "Our father is getting old, and there is not a man on earth to unite with us as was the custom everywhere.
- (32)Come, let us ply our father with wine and then lie with him, that we may have offspring by our father."
- (33)So that night they plied there father with wine, and the older one went in and lay with her father; but he was not aware of her lying down or getting up.
- (34)Next day the older one said to the younger: "last night it was I who lay with my father. Let us ply him with wine again tonight, and then you go in and lie with him, that we may both have offspring by our father."
- (35)So that night, too, they plied their father with wine, and the younger one went in and lay with him; but again he was not aware of her lying down or her getting up.
Lot's Drunkeness Was Sinfull, As He Was To Drunk, To Be Aware Of What Had Happened.
Exodus 29:29 (Consecration Of The Priests)
- (29)'The sacred vestments of Aaron shall be passed down to his decendants, that in them they may be anointed and ordained.
This Is A Reference To Olive Oil, Which Is A Food And Is Also Used To Heal Wounds.
Exodus 30:22-25 (Alter Of Incense)
- (22)The Lord said to Moses,
- (23)"Take the finest spices: five hundred shekels of free-flowing myrrh; half that amount, that is, two hundred and fifty sheckels, of fragrant cinnamon; two hundred and fifty sheckels of fragrant cane;
- (24)five hundred sheckels of cassia--all according to the standard of the sanctuary sheckel; together with a hin of olive oil;
- (25)and blend them into sacred anointing oil, perfumed ointment expertly prepared."
This Is A Reference To Olive Oil, And Spices Which Are Used To Heal Wounds.
Leviticus 2:4 (Cereal Offerings)
- (4)"When the cereal offering you prepare is baked in an oven, it must be in the form of unleavened cakes made of fine flour mixed with oil, or of unleavend wafers spead with oil."
This Is A reference To Baking Bread Without Yeast, (Yeast Does Cause Infections).
Leviticus 14:33-40 (Leprosey Of Houses)
- (33)The Lord said to Moses and Aaron,
- (34)When you come into the land of Canaan, which I am giving you to possess, if I put a leprous infection on any house of the land you occupy,
- (35)the owner of the house shall come and report to the priest, "It looks to me as if my house were infected"
- (36)The priest shall then order the house to be cleared out before he goes in to examine the infection, lest everything in the house become unclean. Only after this is he to go in to examine the house.
- (37)If the priest, on examining it finds that the infection on the walls of the house consists of greenish or redish depressions which seem to go deeper than the surface of the wall,
- (38)he shall close the door of the house behind him and quarantine the house for seven days.
- (39)On the seventh day the priest shall return to examine the house again. If he finds that the infection has spread on the walls,
- (40)he shall order the infected stones to be pulled out and cast in an unclean place outside the city.
Leprosey In The Bible, Refers To A "Terrible Skin Disease", Which Could Be Caused By Mildew, Mold, Fungus Or The Like. The Law Demanded That A Person Would Let Everyone Know, That They Are Unclean, Or Their House Is Unclean.
Numbers 24:6 (Describes Cedar Trees as having Medicinal Properties)
- (6)They are like gardens beside a stream, like the cedars planted by the Lord.
Cedar tree oil has many uses in natural medicine. For 25 years, from 1971 until 1996, the St. Petersburg Institute of Bio-Regulation and Gerontology carried out scientific and clinical studies that showed cedar tree oil can slow aging and increase life expectancy. Cedar tree oil is especially noted for its beneficial effects on internal organs, such as the kidneys, spleen and pancreas. It is also used for the genito-urinary tract. It has antiseptic and diuretic effects, and is effective against respiratory ailments such as congestion and coughs of all kinds, bronchitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis. Some people swear by cedar tree oil for taking care of a variety of skin ailments. From acne to fungal lesions, it can possibly help to eliminate irritation and speed the healing of wounds. It also can help to make hair stronger and prevent hair loss and dandruff. One of the major uses of cedar tree oil is as a sedative. Many claim that use of cedar tree oil calms them and helps them to sleep, and that it is an effective aid against insomnia. Cedar tree oil also helps relieve pain due to its analgesic properties, so some rely on it as arthritis and other joint pain treatment.
Proverbs 17:22 (Joyful Heart)
- (22)A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones.
A Definate Reference To Laughter As Good Medicine (As Opposed To Not).
Proverbs 31:6-7 (The Words Of Lemuel)
- (6)Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to the sorely depressed.
- (7)When they drink they will forget their misery, yet they find their way into kings' palaces.
A Definate Link To Alcohol And Wine Being Used To Forget Sorrow.
Ecclesiastes 10:19 (Laughter)
- (19)Bread and oil call forth merriment and wine makes the living glad, but money answers for everything.
This Is A Reference To A Feast Being Made For Laughter, And Wine To Make Merry, But Money Is For All Things.
Ezechiel 47:12 (The Wonderful Stream)
- (12)Along both banks of the river, fruit trees of every kind shall grow; their leaves shall not fade, nor their fruit fail. Every month they shall bear fresh fruit, for they shall be watered by the flow from the sanctuary. Their fruit shall serve for food, and their leaves for medicine.
There Is No Doubt That This Referes To The Fruit As Food And The Leaves As Medicine.
Zachariah 10:7 (The New Order Of Things)
- (7)Then Ephraim shall be valiant men, and their hearts shall be cheered as by wine. Their children shall see it and be glad, their hearts shall rejoice in the Lord.
This Is Another Reference To Both Wine And Laughter, Being Good Medicine
Matthew 2:11 (The Visit Of The Magi)
- (2)and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold frankincense and myrrh.
Frankincense was considered a cure-all by the people of Biblical times and for those who could afford it, it was applied to cuts, bruises, and wounds of all kinds, as well as a inhaled and taken internally. Frankincense comes from a tree requiring a very unique desert climate. It grows only in North Africa and the Southern Arabian peninsula. The oil received by Jesus as a baby came from the same areas where Young Living gets it's Frankincense today.
Myrrh was an oil customarily applied to the umbilical cord of newborn babies. It's antimicrobial action offered as a protection from infection. The wise men would not have had to explain this to Mary and Joseph. It was common knowledge at that time. They would not have had to explain to Mary that the gift was also for her. Childbearing women of that time knew that if they applied myrrh to their tummies following labor that it would eventually remove stretch marks.
Luke 10:34 (The Parable Of The Good Samaritan)
- (34)He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him.
This Is Another Reference To Both Oil And Wine, As Being Good Medicine
John 2:1- (The Wedding At Cana)
- (1)On the third day there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
- (2)Jesus and his deciples were also invited to the wedding.
- (3)When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine".
- (4)[And] Jesus said to her, "Woman how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come."
- (5)His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you."
- (6)Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons.
- (7)Jesus told them, "Fill the jars with water". So they filled them to the brim.
- (8)Then he told them, "Draw some out now and take to the head waiter." So they took it.
- (9)And when the head waiter had tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the head waiter called the bridegroom
- (10)and said to him, "Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; But you have kept the good wine until now."
- (11)Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs in Cana in Gallilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.
This Is Another Reference To Wine And Celebration, To Be Good Medicine.
Acts 2:13-15 (The Comming Of The Spirit)
- (13)But others said, scoffing, "They have had to much new wine."
- (14)Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice, and proclaimed to them, You who are Jews, indeed all of you staying in Jerusalem. let this be known to you, and listen to my words.
- (15)These people are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only nine o'clock in the morning.
Another Reference To Wine (But They Were Not Drunk).
1 Corinthians 11:23-28 (Traditions Of The Institution)
- (23)For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you that the Lord Jesus on the night he was handed over, took bread,
- (24)and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
- (25)In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this as often as you drink it, in remembrence of me."
- (26)"For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord, until he comes."
- (27)Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.
- (28)A person should examine himself, and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
A Reference To Wine Consumed At The Last Supper, (Not To Get Drunk).
1 Timothy 5:23 (Rules For Presbyters)
- (23)Stop drinking only water, but have a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
A Reference To Wine Being Consumed As A Medicine For Digestion And Other Illnesses.
Revalation 22:2 (Life Giving Water)
- (1)Then the angel showed me the river of life-giving water, sparkling like crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb
- (2)down the middle of the street. On either side of the river grew the tree of life that produces fruit twelve times a year, once each month; the leaves of the tree serve as medicine for the nations.
A Reference To Fruit Being Consumed As Food And The Leaves As Medicine.
The Following Is A List OF Biblically Clean And Unclean Foods:
|Chicken||Grouse||Pigeon||Sparrow||Dove||Guinea Fowl||Prairie Chicken|
|Muskellunge||Sheepshead||Anchovy||Kingfish||Orange Roughy||Silver Hake|
|Barracuda||Long Nose Sucker||Perch||Silversides||Bass||Common Sucker|
|Pike||Smelt||Black Drum||Crappie||Pig Fish||Snapper|
|Black Pomfret||Drum||Pollack||Snook||Blue Runner||Flounder|
|Pompano||Sole||Blue Backs||Grouper||Red Horse Sucker||Spanish Mackerel|
|Bluebill Sunfish||Grunt||Red Snapper||Steelhead||Bluefish||Gulf Pike|
|Red Fish||Striped Bass||Bluegill||Haddock||Robalo||Sucker|
|Cod||Minnow||Sea Bass||Whiting||Seargent Fish||Yellow Perch|
|Shrimp||Swordfish||Catfish||Seal||Whale||All Fish Eggs|
Bible Information: Norman F. Rowe - Alcohol
Bible Information: Steven M. Collins - Bible Diet - Part I
Bible Information: Steven M. Collins - Bible Diet - Part II